JOB TITLE: Controller
UPDATED: May 2021
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Regular, Full-Time
SUPERVISES: Accounting Staff
The Controller’s primary duties include overseeing Accounting staff to ensure AP, AR, and Payroll functions are performed properly.
Ensures timely and accurate completion of monthly close and assists with journal entries and account reconciliations as needed. Prepare monthly financial
reports, including balance sheets, income statement summaries, cash flow statements, and forecasts. Direct and participate in the preparation of budgets.
Coordinate with insurance brokers regarding policy renewals and other matters and advise management accordingly. Manage bank loan activity and prepare
periodic cash reports. Acts as liaison with external auditors and facilitates timely completion of annual financial statement audit and tax preparation.
Interviews, hires, and trains accounting staff. Assigns work to accounting staff, appraises work, and handles disciplinary action as necessary. All
functions will be carried out following Huna Totem Corporate accounting policies.
• Maintains a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
• Oversees the accounting operations of subsidiary companies, non-profits & trusts
• Books and reviews necessary journal entries
• Reviews A/R, A/P, payroll operations
• Perform internal audits of company operations
• Analyze cash flow
• Prepares Trust dividend calculations for CEO and Board
• Cross-training and back-up for other accounting staff
• Directly supervises accounting staff assuring compliance with company policy, standard accounting practices and applicable laws
• Supervises annual audit and tax preparation
• Manages insurance policies and benefits package
• Assures compliance of bank loan covenants
• Manages corporate contracts and leases
• Monitors all investment activities for the Trusts and HTC
• Addresses complaints and resolves problems within Accounting Department
• Other duties as assigned including reports and projects requested by supervisor
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business or Accounting preferred. Preference will be given to CPA’s
• 10 years of progressively responsible accounting experience for a major company or division of a large corporation, including but not limited to
GL, A/P, A/R, payroll and cash management
• Thorough knowledge of accounting principals
• Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and multiple accounting programs
• Possess a valid drivers’ license
• Willingness to travel in small aircraft
• Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
The incumbent shall be required to spend time in Juneau, AK. Occasional travel to Hoonah may be required.
Native Preference under P.L. 93-638.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities
that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change as needs evolve.
To apply please submit a Huna Totem Corporation application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. An application can be downloaded from our website