Sharholder Settlement Trust

Shareholder Settlement Trust

Shareholders of Huna Totem established the Shareholders Settlement Trust at a special meeting of shareholders September 23, 1994. Shareholders of Huna Totem became unit holders of the Trust (the number of Trust units equals the number of Huna Totem corporate shares).

The purpose of the trust was to set aside funds to fuel future cash distributions to shareholders. The trust continues to protect and enhance investment assets of the Corporation, promoting the health, education and welfare of current and future Huna Totem Corporation shareholders, preserving the heritage and culture of Alaska Natives.

The current distribution policy calls for 60 percent of the net income to be distributed annually to unit holders three times a year – on/before August 15, on/before November 15, and on/before February 15 following the annual financial audit.  The remaining 40 percent will be reinvested, increasing the Trust balance and supporting future returns.

The Settlement Trust policy allows for investments among five classes: 1) U.S. Equities (stock); 2) non U.S. Equities (foreign stock); 3) U.S. fixed income (bonds); 4) alternative (e.g. real estate, private equity, hedge funds, tactical allocations); and 5) Cash equivalents (U.S. Treasuries, money market funds.)  The Trust fund is managed by 14 investment managers, recommended by our investment advisor and approved by our Board of Trustees.

Advisor: UBS Financial Services

Elder's Benefit Trust

Shareholders of Huna Totem voted to create the Elders' Benefit Trust at the corporation’s 2003 annual meeting. The Trust pays a one-time $1,500 distribution to original shareholders when they reach the age of 65.

The intent of this special payment is to recognize and reward the efforts of these original shareholders, many of whom worked for the benefit of their communities, the passage of ANCSA, and the establishment of Native corporations. Payment is made when they reach the age of 65 in recognition of the fact that this can be a time when many shareholders experience increased medical needs and other services in conjunction with reduced incomes.

Advisor: UBS Financial Services